Ask a Question

Family Law

Adoption, Divorce, Guardianship, and Paternity

Family Law and Domestic Relations Litigation
Our deep understanding of the law and aggressive approach proves most favorable for our Clients. We are with our clients every step of the way. We want make these difficult situations as less stressful as possible. We fight hard to protect our clients’ rights and to preserve your financial interests. Our aim is to resolve conflicts and to reduce your costs effectively. We pledge to keep you informed and educated about your case so that you have confidence in your decisions.
happy couple
We have successfully helped families from all over Oklahoma make their family complete. We have handled a wide array of adoption ranging from Newborn Adoptions to Adult Adoptions. Oklahoma Adoptions encompass many complex procedures that must be strictly followed. You need an experienced adoption lawyer to navigate the intricacies of the legal system. We’ve personally handled numerous Jury Trials regarding the termination of parental rights and subsequent adoptions. We have the experience you need on your side. Let us make this process less burdensome on you. Regardless of the situation you are facing,
Divorce, also known as Dissolution of Marriage, can range from an amicable and agreed matter to highly litigious and lengthy process. We can help you successfully navigate the complex Divorce issues of:
Property Division and Settlement
Alimony and Spousal Support
Child Custody and Support
Child Visitation
Retirement and Investment Division
Emergency Matters
Parenting Education
Divorce Education
Requirements or Eligibility for Divorce in Oklahoma:
Must be legally married.
Must be a resident of Oklahoma for six (6) months prior to filing the Divorce petition.
The Divorce action will be filed in the Country in which you have resided for the past 30 days.
Frequently Asked Questions

How long does a divorce take?

Divorces can be completed in as little as a few days or up to several months. If children are involved, the law requires that there must be a 90 day waiting period from the time that the divorce petition was filed before the divorce action can be finalized. Division of real property and retirement investments usually cause a delay in time before the divorce action to finalize.
It is beneficial for you to act now.

What happens to my property that I had prior to marriage?

Property acquired prior to marriage is usually considered separate property and is not part of the marital estate. This means that you will likely be able to retain such property unless you conveyed an interest in the property to your spouse or marital funds were used to enhance the value of the property.

If our children are over the age of 12, do they get to pick which parent they want to live with?

No. The Court will still have to make a determination as to what is in the child’s best interest, regardless of their age. The children will usually be able to voice a preference, but it is still the Court’s decision.

How is child support calculated in Oklahoma?

Child support is based on several factors:
1.Gross monthly income of the parents,
2.The cost of health insurance expended by the parent on the children,
3.The visitation schedule,
4.The cost of transportation,
5.The cost of child support paid on behalf of other children not in the home.

Am I entitled to alimony or my spouse’s retirement benefits?

The answer is very case specific. Alimony is not automatic. The length of the marriage, the ability of the person to earn income, the specific needs of the spouse to adjust to a single-person lifestyle, and the specific facts and circumstances surrounding the marriage are considered in that determination. A person is likely to be awarded an equitable division of their spouse’s retirement benefits, but serious considerations are given to the length of the marriage, the valuations of the investment(s), and the facts and circumstances involved.
guardian with child
Guardianships are great for specific situations. The person, or persons, who are appointed guardian(s) have the legal power to make decisions regarding the health, safety, education, and general well-being of the ward. Guardians may also have the authority to make decisions regarding the property, business affairs, or other financial matters of the ward.
Guardianship of Children
Many children are in need of guardians to take care of them for a number of different reasons. The children do not have to be in your physical custody before you file your petition with the Court. If you feel that a child is in need of proper care.
Parents are Unfit
Drug and Alcohol Abuse
Domestic Violence
Child Abuse
Child Neglect
Parent(s) are unwilling or simply unable to care for the child

Guardianship of Adults
When an adult is unable to care for themselves or personal affairs, a guardianship is a great way to make certain that the person is properly taken care of and their business and property remains in proper order. A guardian of an adult person may be appointed by the Court when it is shown that the person is physically or mentally Incapacitated or Partially Incapacitated. Most often, Incapacity, is shown by disabilities or impairments that render a person unable to fully care for themselves or render them incapable of managing their finances, business, or property.
Physical impairment
Old age
Weakness of Mind set
Medical Condition(s)
adult with guardian
If the case involves Child Custody or Child Visitation and the biological parents were never married, it will be filed as a Paternity action. The Court will establish, by court order, paternity. Additionally, the Court will rule on the issues of Child Custody, Support, and Visitation.
These cases can often range from non-married parents simply wanting to establish set visitation and support requirements to disputes as to the real biological father of the minor child. Often times we see that genetic testing has not occurred or that such testing was poorly administered and we should seek independent testing or analysis. Courts have ordered that Child Support be awarded retroactively for up to five years regardless if the father has even visited the child. This can result in astronomical Child Support Judgments and you need an experienced attorney on your side.